Meet John Stefanini
Framingham’s transition to a new form of government requires a leader who has the knowledge of our community and the experience to ensure a smooth process.
That is the fundamental difference between John and the other candidates for mayor. John Stefanini has given his life in service of our community.
John, an educator and attorney, grew up in Framingham as the youngest of five sons of a stone mason and school nurse.
John is a graduate of Framingham South High School, the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, the New England School of Law, where his concentration of studies was in local government law, and Loyola’s International Law Program in Rome.
John served five terms as our State Representative and two terms as our Selectman. John’s decade in Framingham government was marked by collaboration, transparency and progress. In fact, during his tenure Framingham saw:
- dramatic cost savings and significant increases in our commercial tax base;
- opening of new schools and construction of new Police, Fire and Public Works facilities;
- adoption of Education Reform & Financing Law;
- creation of the MetroWest Health Foundation;
- decline in crime rates and establishment of community policing;
- establishment of curbside recycling and paramedic level emergency services;
- establishment of two sister cities: Lomonosov, Russia & Governador Valdares, Brazil;
- creation of Cushing, Victory & Roosevelt parks and Merchant Road Soccer Complex;
- expanded open space at Callahan State Park and Wittenborg Woods; and,
- opening of the Boys and Girls Club.
But John is more than a selectman and a state representative.
A proud graduate of Framingham Public Schools, John began his career as a social studies teacher at Framingham South High School. Throughout his life he has been an active member of our community:
- Framingham Heart Study (3rd cohort & trustee)
- Framingham Lacrosse League (coach & trustee)
- Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation (trustee)
- UMass Club (founding member)
- New England College of Optometry (corporator)
- Framingham Democratic Town Committee (member)
- Brazilian American Association (member)
- Columbus Club (member)
- Framingham Lodge of Elks (member)
- Flag Day Parade Grande Marshal
- Metro West Medical Center (Board of Trustees)
- Framingham Boys & Girls Club (founder)
- Cushing Hospital Task Force (Chair)
Stefanini’s legal practice focuses on real estate, government affairs and public administration. John was an adjunct faculty member at Suffolk Law School.
John and his wife Cecilia live on Bethany Road with their two daughters, Kristina and Julia.